Friday, July 13, 2007

CONNECTIONS! I GET IT!


I love my group! We are chugging away like troupers and I couldn't ask for a greater bunch of ladies to work with!

I've had a breakthrough today and have to thank Deborah for an article she sent me that gives me the big picture on Holistic Education and I'll provide the link here when I get it.

Jack Miller the holistic ed guru at OISE describes the polarity in education; competition versus compassion. Holistic education is a broader vision of education and human development together, focusing on:
  • balance
  • inclusion
  • connection
Picture a complex set of sliders used for music mixing; there are so many sliders and the perfect music will be created with just the right balance on a lot of variables.

  • individual learning and group learning
  • analytic thinking and intuitive thinking
  • content and process
  • learning and assessment
  • collaborative learning and passive learning
  • exploration and guidance
The three foundational approaches to education (transmissive, transactional, and transformational) are not defended by holistic educators, but instead a balance between the approaches seems most suitable to meeting student needs.

It's a returning to the basics of what students need as human beings....do we want great test takers, or compassionate, mindful, healthy and socially responsible citizens?

Understanding this focus on connections will hopefully help with both discussion moderation next week and the group project on Community and Connections.

2 comments:

Peter said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Peter said...

When I have spoken of these sliders, I was thinking predominantly from a student perspective. There has been a lot of talk about matching learning activities to 'learning styles', 'multiple intelligences', 'top-down vs bottom-up' approaches, 'instruction' vs 'construction', structure vs trial and error, etc. As important as I believe this to be, it is our responsibility as educators to ensure that the students understand the metaknowledge and skills we strive to possess. If they gain this, then they are in control of opportunistically sliding the sliders along the various continua defined by the paradigms we value. For example, the student can then decide what approach to take when engaging a 'problem learning space'.